Dear fellow artists
24 May 2013
REPORT ON THE MIRIAM TLALI READING & BOOK CLUB SESSION: WRITERS AND ARTISTS TAKE A STAND IN THE FIGHT AGAINST RAPE AND WOMEN ABUSE.
(Freedom In Our Lifetime: Fighting Rape With Words)
We would like to take this opportunity to express our gratitude to those who attended and participated at the above-mentioned meeting. The aim of the meeting was to deliberate on efforts towards establishing an artists’ organisation that may ultimately be called CASA (Concerned Artists of South Africa). As per consensus at the said meeting, the aim of the organisation is to encourage artists to work together in the fight against Rape, Women and Child Abuse and other matters affecting society.
Using creative forms, the artists will engage on dialogues, performances and campaigns against or for specific issues taking place in the country.
Our first activities will be:
– Taking part in the Take a Stand Campaign organised by the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund, scheduled for the 1st June 2013. Click here to see the invitation
– Our own campaign which will comprise of readings, poetry, music and talk to take place on Friday, 28th June in the evening at a venue still to be confirmed.
About the organisations structure:
– It was agreed that the organisation will be a non-profit type which will be registered at a later stage when we have strengthened our standing
– With time, resources and capacity allowing, the organisation will expand its mandate to also look into the welfare of the artists affiliated with,
– The organisation will elect/appoint/select its administration committee at a later stage when the membership has grown,
– The immediate focus will be on growing the membership and participating in pressing issues as and when we can afford to do so.
We thank you so much for taking time to read this letter and wish to extend an invitation to you to join us in this noble endeavour. For more information or request for membership form, please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org